Monday, August 29, 2011

I'm a bit of a bookworm...

With one month of summer to go, I suddenly realized that I hadn't read anything at all (other than Alice's Adventures in Wonderland at the beginning of the summer!) so I rushed to get some books from the library and have been reading ever since!


>> The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I loved her poetry in school, and my senior-year English teacher (one of the most inspiring teachers I've had) realized that. She let me borrow the book towards the end of the school year, but I was never able to complete it since I had to return it. A couple of years have passed and I checked it out again now in the hopes of finishing what I started.
>> The Wildwater Walking Club by Claire Cook. (Edit: I'm about 50% done with this. It would probably make a good movie, contrary to what I said below. Hypocritical me! The plotline develops realistically and it's all about self-empowerment, so I approve.) To be honest, I'm secretly hoping that this is similar to The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. I'm a sucker for the whole friends-growing-together sap of chick novels... not so much movies, though. That's probably why I checked out this next book,
>> Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares. It's the only one I've completed so far. I checked it out mainly because of curiosity, since I didn't understand why the author would choose to resurrect the characters after so many years. I have to admit, I liked the series when I was growing up. However, this one was a little too sappy for me. And I felt like my image of the characters were ruined, because I had already imagined a future for them. It was also a little too unrealistic since most of the characters were still with the men they fell in love with at age 16; but that might just be me. I think this one would've been best if I had not read it at all. This one and the last one are pretty good for simple beach reads, though.
>> The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. I'm one of the only people to have never read this book, but after hearing almost exclusively positive reviews about it, I chose to check it out. I wish I had more time, but I will probably not get to finish reading this book by the end of the month. :(

This summer, my book-reading theme seems to be all the teen novels I've totally missed out on! What's on your reading list this summer?
<3 Linda

1 comment:

  1. I had a class about american adolescence novels this past semester and we read both the catcher in the rye and the bell jar. I have to say I struggled really getting into the bell jar but in the end it's quite fascinating.The catcher in the rye is definitely easier but still pretty 'deep' =) I hope you can enjoy those two!

    ReplyDelete

Type whatever you wish!